Earlscliffe residents 1844 to 1896
We believe that the house at Earlscliffe was built around 1844. We don't know
who built it or owned it that stage, but we do know that in 1848 the
property was owned by Cornelius Egan, Alderman of Dublin, under a 99-year lease
of 1847 from the Earl of Howth (which is possibly where the name Earlscliffe
Cornelius Egan was born about 1800  and by 1824
was a Corn Merchant. He married Grace Cahill in 1832 and was
Alderman of Dublin City Council by 1841. Around the time that he owned
Earlscliffe he also owned a wholesale merchant company (Cornelius Egan & Co)
hops, seed, malt and corn. 
He had 10 children with Grace Cahill. One son, also called Cornelius, died
tragically in Howth in 1853 after his gun accidentally exploded whilst shooting. 
We don't know much more about Egan and Earlscliffe, but we do know that there were legal dealings
with Egan and his executors and William McDougall of Drumleck, Howth (see map
Egan also owned St Lawrence House in Howth from at least 1852 until his death
on 2nd July 1863.  
St Lawrence House was later converted into a hotel, which closed in the summer
of 2000 and
is now an apartment complex.
Egan is buried at St. Fintan's cemetery, Sutton.
In terms of Earlscliffe, we are uncertain as to whether Egan owned it until
it was sold in 1864 as we only have evidence that he owned it up to 1850
. However, I am still researching this, so watch this space!
Captain William Bunbury McClintock Bunbury
next person we have details of who owned the house was Royal Navy Captain
William Bunbury McClintock Bunbury.  The
Captain first rented it in 1862 , either from Egan or from someone else. The
house was possibly
chosen because his own or his wife's health required sea-bathing. By
1864 he had certainly
bought the house. 
As a Lieutenant in the Royal Navy, McClintock Bunbury had sailed on HMS
Samarang and, in the 1830s had navigated the coast of South America with Charles Darwin.
 During this time McClintock Bunbury
secured the first post on HMS Samarang for one of his young cousins,
Leopold McClintock, the arctic explorer who later discovered the
Prince of Wales Island and
Prince Patrick Island and also discovered the fate of the explorer
John Franklin who had
perished looking for the Northwest Passage 
Captain McClintock Bunbury later became MP for Carlow
 and built the house and gardens at Lisnavagh in County Carlow shortly
after his marriage to Pauline Stronge in 1842. 
Although the Captain inally owned Earlscliffe in 1864, he wasn;t there long
as unfortunately he
died on the 2nd June 1866. His wife, Pauline, continued to own and live in Earlscliffe for some years
until her death in 1876.  In Turtle Bunbury's
excellent website exploring the history of the Bunbury family, it is mentioned
that living at Earlscliffe was good for the health of the Captain's wife.
The house was put up for auction in 1877 by their son, Thomas Kane
McClintock-Bunbury, for around £2,000. However, it wasn't sold until 1878 when
the price had dropped to £1,500. 
Dawson Thomas Knox
is not known exactly who bought the house in 1878, but as Earlscliffe was owned
by Dawson Thomas Knox in 1881, it is assumed that he
bought the house from the McClintock-Bunburys three years earlier.
Dawson Thomas was born 4th May 1845, the son of Reverend Thomas Knox
and Eliza Winckworth Bent. He worked for the Irish Land Commission as the Deputy
Superintendent of the Church property Department. 
We don't know anymore about Dawson Thomas, but the house also seems to be linked to various
other members of the Knox family at that time including Ellis Henry Knox ,
Cheney John Maunsel,  and Commander Vesey
Henry Knox was
a Clerk in the Office of Commissioners of Church Temporalities
in Ireland. We don't know any more about Ellis Henry, except that Emily Knox, his
half sister and a Professor of Music , lived at another
house nearby on Ceanchor Road (Couleen) until she died on 19 Feb 1952
We do know that Ellis Henry Knox died in Earlscliffe on the 20 Jun 1892 at
the age of 49. 
A few years later, Dawson Thomas Knox died 25th Jan in 1895 
and the Knox family put the house up
for auction in the summer of 1895.  Dawson is
buried in St. Fintan's Cemetery in Sutton. 
Back to top
-  A sale notice for Earlscliffe in the Irish Times July 6 1895 mentions
that it is "held as to part for 143 years from 1st November 1844, under a
lease dated 15th December 1847, and a reversionary lease dated 1st May
-  From the Lisnavagh Archives (G 8/12). As relayed to me by Turtle
Bunbury in July 2009. As an aside, a later owner of
Earlscliffe, John Pentland Mahaffy, married the daughter of William McDougall
-  National Register of Archives, Record Reference D/4132/G/, NRA
catalogue reference NRA 40262 McClintock-Bunbury
-  Thom's Irish Almanac & Official Directory~1864, as listed in "Extracts
From Various Trade Directories 1834 To 1910"
. Turtle Bunbury, a descendent of the Captain's family, has confirmed that
Pauline Stronge died in 1876. This fits in with the entry in  above which
states that the last date that she is known to have lived at Earlscliffe was
in that year. It is also confirmed in the Wills and Administrations entry
which states that she died on the 1st Jan 1878.
-  As related in the book "The Arctic Fox - Francis Leopold McClintock,
Discoverer of the fate of Franklin", David Murray, 2004. Cork: The Collins
Press, ISBN 1-55002-523-6
-  The House Of Commons Constituencies - County Carlow,
-  Family History, Stronge Of Tynan Abbey, Co. Armagh
-  As told to me by Turtle Bunbury in correspondence (July
2009). An advert in the "The Freeman's Journal", May 1 1877 describes
Earlscliffe as a "charming residence with ornamental grounds and garden, the
whole comprising 4a. 3r. 29p" and that the "present proprietor has expended a
considerable sum in valuable and judicious improvements". Turtle has a well laid out and fascinating site about the many
generations of the Bunburys and it is well worth a visit. See
-  Debrett's Peerage Page 521
with an entry that reads: "Ellis Henry, b. 1842;
is a Clerk in Office of Commissioners of Church Temporalities in Ireland.
Residence, — Earlscliffe, Howth, co. Dublin"
-  Thom's Irish Almanac & Official Directory~1886, as listed in
"Extracts From Various Trade Directories 1834 To 1910"
It states that a D Knox lived there. This is Dawson Thomas. The dates listed were 1886, 1891 and 1892.
Irish Times notices seem to indicate that a C Knox lived here. Could that be
-  The story of Emily was originally told by Olive Stanley Clarke to
David Robinson in the 1980s. However, there are some interesting facts about
the Knox household at Couleen. The 1911 census shows that Cheney John
Maunsel Knox (Ellis Henry's brother) lived in 9 Percy Place in Dublin with
his sister Emily Knox and they had a servant called Kate Cassidy (from the
1911 Census found
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000127524/ on3rd Oct
2015). Certainly Kate died in Couleen on the 15th Sept 1947.
See also the England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966.
-  Ireland, Civil Registration Deaths Index, 1864-1958. Dawson is
buried in St. Fintan's Cemetery in Sutton.
-  The house was advertised in the Irish Times July 6 1895 pg 9. Earlscliffe was described as a "first class Residence, in perfect order,
with every residential attraction, situated on the sunny side of Howth, facing
Kingstown, and adjoining the sea shore, standing upon about five acres.
Immediate possession." It also said that the "climate on the south
slope of Howth is well know for salubrity, being well protected from north and
east winds. Earlscliffe occupies the choicest position on the south slope of
Howth, the most enviable marine residential position in the County of Dublin."
-  From the 1911 Census found
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000127524/ on3rd Oct 2015
-  John Pentland Mahaffy: Biography of an Anglo-Irishman, W B Stanford
and R B McDowell, Publisher: Routledge & Kegan Paul Ltd, 1971, ISBN 0
7100 6880 8
-  Slaters 1870 commercial directory as quoted on Ancestry.com here:
-  Slater's Commercial Directory of Ireland 1846, pg 82
-  As reported in the Worcester Journal, 5th November 1853.
-  In the Morning Post, London, 28th Dec 1885, there is something about
Commander Vesey Knox of Earlscliffe
-  In Slater's Royal National Commercial Directory of Ireland (1881)
it states that Dawson Knox was in Earlscliffe and again in Slater's Royal National Directory of Ireland (1894)
-  Griffith's Valuation 1848 and 1850 show that Egan occupied houses and land
marked as 2a and 2b on the map, where 2b is shown as Earlscliffe House and
lands. Incidentally, a number of previous residents have wondered
which was the original name of the house; Earlscliffe or Earlscliff, as both
spellings can be seen in various documents over the years. The map shown
above from 1848 shows the house named as Earlscliffe, so we are assuming
that this must have been the original name.
-  Thom's Irish Almanac & Official Directory 1852, to 1864.
-  Thom's Official Directory of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, 1894,
Law Directory page 846.
Ireland, Grand Lodge of Freemasons of Ireland Membership Registers, 1733-1923 for Dawson Thomas Knox
has an entry for his death in Volume V (1860-1899) as on the 25 Jan 1895.
This is confirmed in the Calendars of Wills and Administrations, 1858
http://thepeerage.com/p33229.htm states Dawson Thomas Knox was born on 4 May 1845. He was the son of Reverend Thomas Knox and Eliza Winckworth
-  Calendars of Wills and Administrations, 1863