History / History of the House
Previous / Next: History of the Garden
Although the recorded history of the gardens only goes back to the 1930s, the location and gardens at Earlscliffe have been enchanting people for over 150 years.
The following pages tell the story of the residents of the house and gardens at Earlscliffe from the 1840s up to the present day. Each section includes scrollable timelines related to Earlscliffe residents, showing births, marriages, deaths and major events in their lives and in their home and working environments.
- 1844 to 1896 - Capt William Bunbury McClintock et al
- 1896 to 1901 - John Randal Plunkett
- 1901 to 1922 - John Pentland Mahaffy
- 1922 to 1930 - Very Rev. CT Ovenden and Dr. Ella Webb
- 1930 to 1945 - Sir John Lumsden
- 1945 to 1949 - William Martin Murphy
- 1949 to 1950 - Lily Margaret Graham Gough
- 1950 to 1969 - Brigadier "Kit" and Olive Stanley-Clarke, Dr Robert Rowan Woods, and Lieutenant Colonel Andrew Knowles
- 1969 to today - David and Muriel Robinson and Foley family
- Timeline of World, Irish and Earlscliffe House related events covering all Earlscliffe residents
To learn more about the history of the Robinson Garden at Earlscliffe, read the following page:
This page was last updated on